We partner with the Nova Scotia Department of Labour and Advanced Education, the Department of Community Services, Nova Scotia Office of Immigration and Nova Scotia Works: Career Connections to provide participants with opportunities to develop the nine Essential Skills needed for work, learning and life: reading, document use, numeracy, writing, oral communication, computer use, working with others, thinking skills and continuous learning. The Government of Canada’s Office of Literacy and Essential Skills maintains that proficiency in these skills provides the foundation for learning all other skills. They are the skills that enable us to succeed in our jobs and adapt to workplace change. They also enable us to grow in our personal lives and contribute to our communities.
For more information, please contact ACALA at T: 902-863-3060 or 902-318-3096.
- EMBARK is an employability program offered in partnership with the Department of Community Services for participants with self-identified mental health barriers
- Learners gain experience in employability skills training, work and life skill enhancement workshops, coping skills for the workplace, and technology training
- Learners participate in volunteer work placements within the community
- There is no cost to learners to participate in the program
- Learners have access to a bi-weekly training allowance through the program
Bridging to Employment- Immigrant (BE-I) Program
- BE-I is an employability program offered by the Antigonish County Adult Learning Association (ACALA) in partnership with Career Connections Nova Scotia Works and the Nova Scotia Office of Immigration.
- Aimed at helping skilled Immigrants who are permanent residents, prepare for employment opportunities in the local area. The program is geared to bridge the gaps in the resume of adult newcomer workers. Learners have access to English as a Second Language (EAL) instruction, build on work experiences and gain assistance navigating Canadian accreditation processes across professions.
- Participants are offered the opportunity to take certification courses, (such as Emergency and Standard First Aid and CPR, WHMIS, Portfolio Development, and Food Handlers), along with life skills training for the workplace.
- There is no cost to learners to participate in this program.