We offer English as an Additional Language (EAL) classes and one-on-one tutoring free of charge for anyone interested in improving their English speaking, listening, reading and writing skills.
English as an Additional Language (EAL)
- We partner with the YREACH Program to deliver beginner, intermediate and advanced classes to new immigrants and permanent residents. The Canadian Language Benchmarks are used to evaluate participants. Jyotsna Jain is the instructor for YREACH in the Antigonish region. These English language classes are tailored to the learner’s needs, and class times are flexible. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- Instructors also help learners prepare for the International English Language Testing System (IELTS)
Bridging to Employment- Immigrant (BE-I) Program
- BE-I is an employability program offered by the Antigonish County Adult Learning Association (ACALA) in partnership with Career Connections Nova Scotia Works and the Nova Scotia Office of Immigration (NSOI).
- Aimed at helping skilled Immigrants who are permanent residents, prepare for employment opportunities in the local area. The program is geared to bridge the gaps in the resume of adult newcomer workers. Learners have access to English as a Second Language (EAL) instruction, build on work experiences and gain assistance navigating Canadian accreditation processes across professions.
- Participants are offered the opportunity to take certification courses, (such as Emergency and Standard First Aid and CPR, WHMIS, Portfolio Development, and Food Handlers), along with life skills training for the workplace.
- There is no cost to learners to participate in this program.
EAL learners can enjoy some snacks and converse with one another, takes place on Thursdays at 4:30 p.m in the Community Room of the People’s Place Library.
The People’s Place Library (PARL) is also an important resource for people new to Antigonish and for all EAL learners. Listen as ACALA learners interview PARL staff and learn more about this place that is at the heart of our community.