We help people at all stages of their educational journey. The Antigonish County Adult Learning Association (ACALA) is a community, not-for-profit organization. We believe that “everyone is a lifelong learner.” ACALA’s mission and mandate is to:
- Support and promote lifelong learning
- Promote literacy networking and awareness
- Encourage and support learning initiatives in partnership with adult learners, volunteers, educators, school boards, government departments and other community organization.
We have provided adult and family learning opportunities in the Anitgonish area since 1994. Our main office is located in the People’s Place Library in the town of Antigonish, but we regularly provide programs in a variety of sites in Antigonish County.
We offer GED preparation, English as an Additional Language, Employment Skills programs and other individualized learning opportunities. ACALA encourages learners to create their own paths to learning in order to meet individual learning goals. Learners come from all walks of life with a wide variety of goals. These can include, but are not limited to:
- Achieving high school diploma or high school equivalency (GED)
- Upgrading courses to qualify for secondary education
- Learning employability skills
- Gaining job-related certificates and skills
- Improving English as a Second Language skills
- Gaining computer competency for the workplace or life skills
If you need help with a specific skill or an external course, we can set you up with a tutor and support you though the process. We believe in meeting learners where they are, and helping them design the learning plan that will meet their individual needs.